Thursday, August 20, 2009

A hot and sandy 'salam' to you all!


Hello everyone! This is my first time blogging as well. It took me about 20 minutes (and the help of an Arabic-speaking co-worker) to switch my Blogger menus from Arabic to English. But here I am! I'd like to report that this week I have done something I have never done before (besides run voluntarily). I woke up and went to the gym before work...TWICE. You'll understand how amazing that is when you see what awaits me once I sleepwalk my way to the gym. It's my new best friend: scary LifeFitness poster girl. For the next couple months, she and I will be seeing quite a lot of each other. Since the weather here is currently what I like to call "walking through boiling hot jello", I have to run indoors. The gym in our building complex is pretty nice but the views are a bit unfortunate. I am either staring at a sand-colored wall (because I don't get enough of that color) and the aforementioned poster. Or I am looking at people lounging around the lap pool. But I am soldiering on. I have been doing the run/walk thing and slowly but surely, I am increasing the length of time I run. It is now in the double-digits! Woo hoo! Sigh. Baby steps. Running IS really hard.

I've purchased some insanely overpriced running gear. So far I have abstained from buying the Commodore 2000-on-your-wrist running watch. Which is a very un-Dubai thing to do. They probably have a version here that's covered in gold or swarovski crystals. My fiance, Bob, and I hit the Saucony store for some new kicks. He is my ever-positive training buddy and will be running the marathon as well. The sales guy asked how long I usually run and I was so excited to say 3K. Just a week or so ago it was 0! I then saw the embarrassed shock on his face and I felt the overwhelming urge to run...out of the store. I have an appointment for a physical next week at the American Hospital. I felt this location was a safe bet. I didn't want the phrase "you cannot run a marathon" to be lost in translation. I'll let you know how that goes. I am anticipating blowing the infamous Tom Coyne body fat percentage out of the water.

Anyway, I hope you are all well. I'll be sad to miss out on the big kick-off this weekend. As you enjoy all that green scenery and fresh air, just think of me and the LifeFitness girl. I hope to be able to run with you guys in November when I'll be home for a couple of weeks. By that time, the scary poster and I will have parted ways and I'll be able to brag about the lovely temperate Dubai running weather. But then I'll be complaining about all the hidden construction ditches and lack of sidewalks. Ah well. I hope we do end up running the marathon in Paris. I read that they serve wine and cheese at the 30K mark. WINE! And CHEESE! Come on now people. Allons-y!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment