Saturday, October 24, 2009

Falling off the wagon

Well, I completely fell off the running wagon for the last few weeks, logging only 10.5 miles out of a total 19 miles. Needless to say, after missing so many workouts, I felt a bit...loose



I have no real excuse, other than the following excellent excuses:



1. The weather was crappy


2. I was travelling a lot for work


3. My couch called me with it's sweet siren song and I was unable to resist.



Dani, I too have felt the running high, only to be bitch smacked by a running low unlike any I've ever felt. A few Sunday's ago, I ran my first 5 miles and was jamming. Aches and pains minimal, stride smooth and delibrate, and mental state strong. The next time I went running, I was expecting the same thing only to have the polar opposite happen. Dejection does not adequately describe how I felt when I walked in the door.



However, I pushed through it, and even though I was out on the West Coast for business all week, I managed to get out and get my groove on again. Onwards.



Tom, I've been thinking about your request for book names. Whilst running today, I found myself asking once again, "why the hell am I doing this", to which I replied to myself, "because it's there", to which I began thinking about the first person to utter those words, Sir Edmund Hillary, when asked about why was he climbing Mt Everest. To which I began to think about Tom's thesis. When I got home, I looked up "sedentary", and then came to this realization: maybe so many people are doing marathons because to the "sedentary" 26.2 miles might as well be Mt Everest. Only this Everest, you don't need piles of cash, a plane ride to Nepal, burly mountain guides, oxygen tanks, and major cold weather gear. All you really need is a pair of sneakers and the will to step out of your front door and start training. So maybe try to incorporate Everest into the title. Some ideas: Asphalt Everest, Everyman's Everest, Our Everest. Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm all signed up for the Bridge run. I'm looking forward to it.

And eventually, perhaps we should discuss as a group, the elephant in the room.

Mike

2 comments:

  1. Liking the Everest angle...

    Asphalt Everest is cool. What about Running Everest? Would grab one's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is an interesting article on "the elephant" that might make you feel better about this climb you have undertaken:

    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2009/10/deaths-during-running-is-exercise-safe.html

    ReplyDelete