Monday, September 21, 2009

Snap, crackle, pop!

Greetings from Istanbul!

I hope this works since my blog settings are now in Turkish. Bob and I are in Turkey for 5 days, celebrating the end of Ramadan and taking advantage of some time off to get a change of scenery. I am taking a break from wandering the city and wanted to report that Bob and I are officially registered for the marathon! Woo hoo! Whether or not I will finish it is another story... I've been having a really rough time lately. My knees have staged a massive coup and I have had to stop running for the past two weeks or so. I have been reading a lot about running-related knee ailments and it is so disheartening that I have had to cut myself off. There's only so much I can read about patella mis-tracking. Ugh. So, the title of my post is in reference to how my knees, particularly my left, feel. I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor in about a week and a half and hopefully I will be back on track soon. Apparently every doctor in my insurance network takes this month off. I would have thought I'd be relieved to get a break from running, but I've been really frustrated by having to stop! I was really getting into it and was starting to see some progress. Since this whole knee ordeal started a month ago, I have purchased every kind of knee strap and brace in the middle east, tried over-priced over-the-counter orthotics, and even ventured to a super-creepy orthopedic "clinic" in old Dubai that had an available appointment. There I was told I am basically an anatomical perfect storm: knock-kneed, flat-footed, and weak. I've never worked so hard just to be able to do something that is such hard work! I feel a bit disconnected from the group. So, if anyone has had (or is corrently having) similar problems, I'd love some advice! It can't be as hopeless as runnersworld.com etc. is making me feel!

So, that's where I'm at for the moment. I wish it could be more on the positive side! I hope you are all doing well. I must now get back to eating Turkish delight. It really is delightful! And addictive. I'm starting to wonder what the white powder it is coated in really is.

2 comments:

  1. Stay positive, Cristin! Yours will be the great comeback story of the book (though Jeannie is also a most amazing comeback nominee at this point...) There's still plenty of time to get healthy now and then get back on Lowell's schedule. I'm going to the doctor today to discuss my own "runner's knee" issues - I've been sidelined for a week or so as well. It's all part of the adventure. I'll see if the doctor is willing to give you some advice or thoughts via email or skype since the sports medicine care in Dubai seems to be wanting. Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristin,

    I am 2/3 of the way through Tom's Ireland book and went on line to see what he is up to next and couldn't believe that a a marathon was on the plate. I am an avid golfer who took his Dad to Ireland a few years ago for the trip of a lifetime and fell in love with Irish golf, pubs, food (except for the "full Irish...ugh) and people.

    I am also running a marathon next month with my wife to celebrate our 20th anniversary (yes, we are that crazy). I have done two before but she is a first timer, and she is suffering from some serious knee pain. We ran a "short" 14 on Saturday and she was in tears by the end. She went to a PT friend of hers for treatment on Sunday and Monday and it seems to feel better. I know how you feel, my last marathon it was two cortisone shots in my feet to deal with the plantar fasciitis.

    So, if you need to rest it...rest it. I am of the opinion that rest is underrated in the preparation for a first time marathon. We tend to take our bodies from 0 to 60 in a heart beat and they rebel, big surprise.

    Also, remember what Yogi Berra said, "Half of this game is 90% mental" Pain management is part of the game.

    Anyway, good luck. I can't wait to hear how it goes. I know you will do great. When your knee starts to hurt just imagine in your minds eye what it will feel like to cross that finish line. It might help you take the next step, and the next, and the next....

    Tucker Hite

    ReplyDelete